Friday, June 26, 2009

Reactions to Jackson's death

Michael Jackson's sudden death at the age of 50 brought reactions from across the entertainment world and elsewhere. Below are some of those reactions.

Music producer Quincy Jones, who collaborated with Jackson on three of his best-selling albums, "Off the Wall," "Thriller" and "Bad," said in a statement: "I am absolutely devastated at this tragic an unexpected news. For Michael to be taken away from us so suddenly at this young age, I just don't have the words. He added: "He was the consummate entertainer and his contributions and legacy will be felt upon the world forever. I've lost my little brother today and part of my soul has gone with him."

Lisa Marie Presley, daughter of rock great Elvis Presley and who was married to Jackson in the mid-1990s, said in a statement: "I am so very sad and confused with every emotion possible. I am heartbroken for his children who I know were everything to him and for his family. This is such a massive loss on so many levels, words fail me.

Actress Brooke Shields, a longtime friend of the "King of Pop," said in a statement released through her publicist: "My heart is overcome with sadness for the devastating loss of my true friend Michael. He was an extraordinary friend, artist and contributor to the world. I join his family and his fans in celebrating his incredible life and mourning his untimely passing."

Neil Portnow, president and CEO of the Recording Academy, the group that organizes the Grammy Awards, said in a statement: "Rarely has the world received a gift with the magnitude of artistry, talent and vision as Michael Jackson. He was a true musical icon whose identifiable voice, innovative dance moves, stunning musical versatility and sheer star power carried him from childhood to world wide acclaim. "A 13-time Grammy recipient, Michael's career transcends musical and cultural genres and his contributions will always keep him in our hearts and memories."

Rudy Clay, mayor of Jackson's hometown, Gary, Indiana, told the Chicago Tribune: "Wherever a person from Gary, Indiana, went in the world, people would say, 'That's Michael Jackson's home town.' So Michael helped Gary just by being from Gary."

No comments:

Post a Comment